Monday, March 1, 2010

Details! Details! Get Ya' Details!


Writing in first grade progresses faster than all other subjects.  We are looking for opening and closing sentences in our stories.  We're looking for strong handwriting.  We're looking for a confident use of letters and letter teams.  We want to hear your child's voice or character as they write.  We'd love to see beautiful adjectives to describe things in your stories.  We search for capital letters and punctuation on every sentence.  That's a lot for a first grader, huh?

Here's a tip to keep your child progressing in writing.  Have them support each of their details with a follow-up sentence.  So really you're squeezing two details out of one.  For example, I might say...."My favorite place to eat pizza is Pizza Hut.  Sometimes I get to go there on Sunday's with my family.  I like pepperoni pizza.  One time, we even ordered extra pepperoni.  I get to play video games when we go to Pizza Hut.  I'm really good at the game called Pac Man."  

See what I did?  I supported each of my "wimpy" details with a follow-up sentence.  It's a great trick.  And I promise it will take your child to the next level in writing.  I know cuz' I'm the one who grades it!  Hahah!  Good luck!

Blog Archive